Accessibility Statement
Text size:
Birmingham Connect to Support

End of Life

Click on the sections below to find out more information.

You can always return to the interactive community to select a different category.

NHS Choices (opens in new window) has an end of life guide for people who are approaching the end of their life. This includes how and where you want to be cared for, financial issues, planning ahead and searching for local hospices (opens in new window). Some parts of it may also be useful for people who are caring for someone who is dying, or people who want to plan in advance for their end of life care. 

You can also find information about your rights and choices, including refusing treatment, setting down your wishes for your future treatment, and how to give someone the legal right to make decisions for you if you are no longer capable.

This guide also contains information about talking to your family and carers about dying and about your wishes.

End of Life care is for anyone with an advanced progressive illness, for example people living with cancer or cardiovascular disease, neurological conditions and many more.

This care includes the management of pain and other symptoms at the end of life as well as psychological, social and spiritual support to help acheive the best quality end of life care for patients and their families. 

In the last few days of life, the NHS may take over all care provision but there may be a cost for any social care services provided for which you could be charged.

Care can be provided by a variety of different professionals including GPs, nurses, support workers and therapists. Nursing care can be provided in the person's home. This gives carers a valuable break from their caring responsibilities. 

Hospice care can be arrange if required. The hospices provide their own specialist palliative care teams which can provide support not just in the hospices but also in the person's own home.

The starting point should be your own GP who will be able to access all the services available.

Birmingham St Mary's Hospice
Address: 176 Raddlebarn Road, Selly Park, Birmingham, B29 7DA
Phone: 0121 472 1191
Web: (opens in new window)

John Taylor Hospice
Address: 76 Grange Road, Erdington, Birmingham, B24 0DF
Phone: 0121 465 2000
Web: (opens in new window)

Sheldon Unit
Address: 11 Sheldon Road, Sheldon, Birmingham, B31 5EJ
Phone: 0121 475 6100

Macmillan Cancer Support
Macmillan Cancer Support offers information and support to anyone who has been diagnosed with cancer, their families and carers. If you need to talk, call their free helpline on 0808 808 0000

Marie Curie Cancer Care
Marie Curie Cancer Care is a charity dedicated to the care of people with terminal illness. Marie Curie provides high quality end of life care through its Marie Curie Nursing Service and Hospices.
If you are living with a terminal illness and need support, you can call their support line on 0800 090 230
If you would like a Marie Curie nurse to provide care to you at home, speak to your GP or District Nurse.

Dealing with the loss of a loved one is one of the most painful things most of us will face. There are however certain people and organisations that need to be told and specific documents and practical arrangements that need to be completed.

When someone dies in Birmingham, you should make an appointment to register their death at the Birmingham Register Office (opens in new window).

Registering a death is free and must be registered in the city where it occurred. You can find all the information you need on the Birmingham City Council website here (opens in new window).

Bereavement Advice Centre (opens in new window) supports and advises people on what they need to do after a death.

The Bereavement Register (opens in new window) is a free service to remove the name and address of someone who has passed from mailing lists to prevent junk mail.

When there is no one else willing or able, to arrange funerals, Birmingham City Council Directorate for Adult Social Care  can arrange a sensitive funeral for those people who die within the city boundaries.

Where the deceased has no estate, a simple funeral is provided by the Council within the city boundary. Friends, family and carers will be advised of the date, time and place so that they can attend. Where the deceased has left sufficient fund, a private funeral will be arranged, following the deceased's wishes or those of family, carers or friends.

All funeral arrangements will be conducted in accordance with the known wishes of the deceased person and we will respect their religious and cultural background. Support and advice is also available for people who have not experienced bereavement before or feel that they may need help with arranging a funeral.

As the services we offer are wide ranging, anyone seeking help or advice can approach the section and receive the benefit of our experience in this sensitive area of work.

Birmingham Council funerals are arranged  under Section 46 of the Public Health (Control of Disease) Act 1984.

When there is no one else willing or able, to arrange temporary protection of property, Birmingham City Council Directorate for Adult Social Care can arrange for property to be protected.

Where property appears to be in danger of damage or loss for persons admitted to hospitals or of persons unable to devote to themselves proper care and attention, and who are moved to another suitable place by Order of the Court (Mental Health Act) or assessed by the Local Authority as in need of care and placed in a Local Authority Home or the Probate Section, the Council can act to safeguard property.

Anyone seeking help or advice can approach the section and receive the benefit of our experience in this sensitive area of work.

Birmingham Council protection of property are arranged  under Section 48 Section 48  National Assistance Act 1948.

 Useful Contacts

Birmingham City Council Funerals and Protection of Property
Phone: 0121 675 7129
Fax:      0121 303 8456

Everyone deals with bereavement differently and you may experience a whole range of emotions. Support is available to help you through this difficult time.

Advice on coping with bereavement from the NHS. (opens in new window)

You may be eligible for funeral or bereavement payments (opens in new window). This link takes you to the Government website which includes additional information.

Cruse Bereavement Care (opens in new window) provides practical advice and support to help bereaved people and enables anyone bereaved to understand their grief and cope with their loss. 
Phone: 0808 808 1677

Samaritans (opens in new window) has volunteers available 24 hours a day to talk to you if you are feeling distressed.
Call their free telephone number: 116 123

Independent Age produce an advice guide on Coping with Bereavement (opens in new window).

Search for home care agencies (opens in new window)that can provide nursing and personal care.

Search our Community directory for end of life services and support.

Last updated: 7/1/2020

How would you rate this page?